UVAXX (part of Barramundi Group) is a Singapore-based aqua-tech company providing fish health services and autogenous vaccines to the aquaculture industry. Our business is expanding across the Asia Pacific region and we are looking for a self-starter that is a forward-thinking to help kickstart our veterinary diagnostic unit for fin fish in Broome, Western Australia.
The successful candidate will play a leading role to spearhead the development of the company’s business in Australia by setting up a diagnostic lab and leading fish health management, welfare and biosecurity across Barramundi Group’s nursery and sea farm sites.
The position is based in Broome, Western Australia and you are required to conduct frequent field investigations that will take you out into Cone Bay, part of the pristine Buccaneer Archipelago. Transport from Broome to site will be provided. Accommodation (single) and chef prepared meals will be provided on site.
The position will report to the UVAXX HQ in Singapore and work very closely with Barramundi Group’s farm operation in Broome.
- Lead the set-up and commissioning of a fish health diagnostic lab in Australia.
- Take charge of all the administrative and logistics activities related to the lab.
- Work and coordinate with the UVAXX HQ team based in Singapore to develop standard operating procedures to operationalise the diagnostic lab.
- Implement a health monitoring program and service for Barramundi Group in Australia.
- Take on the leading role for fish health management of the entire operation, lead and train the farm staff in the field of fish health and welfare, participate in weekly meetings
- Perform routine analysis from sample collection to identification of bacterial and viral fish pathogens.
- Regular sample processing for microbiological and molecular diagnostics.
- Perform DNA/RNA extractions from fish samples and run endpoint PCR and gel electrophoresis for viral diagnostics.
- Ensure timely and accurate release of diagnostic reports, comfortable working with larger sets of data.
- Comply with QC standards while conducting lab procedures.
- Take responsibility of lab compliance including ordering, consumables stock, maintenance and calibration of lab equipment.
- Masters or degree in a scientific discipline related to aquaculture or veterinary science.
- Passionate about aquaculture in general.
- Candidates must have at least 1-year hands-on experience in an academic or industry setting with fin fish.
- Candidates must have experience working in a diagnostics laboratory and be familiar with basic laboratory techniques including routine microbiological analysis and molecular diagnostics.
- Candidates should be familiar with principles of fish health and diagnostics of fin fish diseases.
- Good organisation and planning skills with the ability to manage multiple projects and tasks.
- Strong team player with positive work attitude, analytical minded, result-oriented, good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Willing to travel and perform field work if required, therefore a valid driver’s license in WA is necessary.
- Physically fit and comfortable working and living Broome.
- Able to work safety at sea.
As part of your application, please submit a cover letter stating why you think you are suitable for the position, how you fulfil the requirements of the role and how you intend to make a difference. Your application should also include a detailed CV.
If you have any questions, please drop us an email at email@example.com